- Elijah Craig Straight Rye
- Proof: 94
- Distillery: Heaven Hill
- Mashbill: 51% rye, 35% corn, 14% malted barley
- Age: “extra aged” (might be 4-6 years)
- Release Date: January 2020 in select markets
- Distillery Description: This extraordinary extra-aged Rye Whiskey is the first to carry the name of Elijah Craig: the entrepreneur and distiller who is credited with being the first to age his American Whiskey in charred oak barrels to make Bourbon. Elijah’s pioneering spirit and commitment to craft is on full display with this Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey, which is produced from barrels specifically selected by our distillers. In the glass, Elijah Craig Rye reveals the imbuing spice of rye grains, perfectly balanced with corn for distinct smoothness and character.
- Availability: Select markets
- Price: $29.99 MSRP (too new for market and secondary pricing)
- Packaging: 750ml glass
- How we got this: Distillery Sample (actual full size package received)
- Related website: https://heavenhilldistillery.com/elijah-craig-rye.php https://elijahcraig.com/straight-rye-whiskey
Tim Knittel’s tasting notes:
Nose: “Barrel-forward” with smoke, caramel and vanilla combined with a notable mint/menthol
Palate: Light spicy, lightly minty, strong barrel wood character with a nicely round mouthfeel
Finish: Smoke, tobacco, dry wood, black pepper and light holiday spices
Hilary Baumann’s tasting notes:
Nose: general rye richness with vanilla, nothing predominant but still very pleasant
Palate: the spice you expect from a good rye but again for me I didn’t get a lot of specific flavor notes, full rich mouth feel
Finish: Mid-length finish that again for me I wasn’t getting as many specific notes on this one other than “a good rye” – it’s well rounded somehow though.
I would absolutely choose this if I wanted to drink a good rye at a decent price point because it’s very enjoyable. I also really want to try this in a Manhattan, KY Martinez, and Old Fashioned because I think it may make a great cocktail.
📸 Photo by Hilary Baumann / FascinationDesign.com