Trying to decide which holiday to celebrate this May 5th?
Can’t decide between Cinco de Mayo AND the Kentucky Derby?
THIS is your drink!
- 2 oz 90+ proof Bourbon Old Forester works well & is easy to find (though many MANY other bourbons will also work)
- 1 oz Lime juice fresh if possible
- 1+ oz Simple Syrup* recipe below
- Mint sprigs for garnish go organic here if you can
- Salt for the glass rim
Salt the rim of your glass:
The easiest way to do this is to put some simple syrup on a small plate and dip the edge of the glass in that. And use a second plate for your salt and dip the edge of your glass in that after the simple syrup.
Combine in shaker over ice:
- 2oz Bourbon
- 1oz Lime juice
- 1oz and a dash Simple Syrup
Vigorously shake for 10-20 seconds.
Strain into glass.
Garnish with a sprig of mint (remember, this is Cinco de Derby!) To get full aroma place the sprig in one hand and smack it firmly once before adding it to your glass.
1) you CAN add mint to your margarita as well. Don't muddle it in but instead smack the mint and add it to your cocktail shaker. Proceed as described above.
2) If you need something faster, replace the lime and simple syrup with a high quality sour mix like the one from Stirrings.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar we prefer cane sugar/raw sugar to beet sugar for this
Combine in a small saucepan:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw sugar
heat until fully dissolved
cool before using and store in the refrigerator
You can buy simple syrup but note that it's a little sweeter than simple syrup made with raw sugar.